Recipe made by: Kevin
This is a homemade salsa recipe, no salsa mixes used.
Preparation time: 10-20 minutes
Canning time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 2 cans tomato purée (28 oz.)
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 limes
- 1 bell pepper
- Cilantro (to taste)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 7 mason jars (pint size)
- Fill a tall pot with water and bring to a boil
- Add empty jars without the lids to the pot. This helps to sterilize the jars.
- Grab a second large pot and add chopped onions, garlic, and peppers to hot oil. Put a lid on and steam for just a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl: mix tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cilantro.
- Add salsa mixture to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Once bubbles form, bring down heat to low to medium. Let it sit for 1hr and 30 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Pour salsa up to the neck of each jar.
- Put lid on tightly.
- Set each jar under boiling water for 10 minutes. Make sure each jar is completely under the water or they will not seal.
- Next day, press the center of each lid. They should not make a “pop” sound. If they do, either boil with a new lid or store in the fridge.