“Self Care is a priority and necessity -not a luxury- in the work that we do.”
I am assuming you came to this post because you are looking for ways to relax, as a mother. I hope this post helps you or someone else you may know. I think it is very important that you try to make time for yourself, no matter what is going on. It is understandable that one gets busy, but self-care needs to be something that should be done every day. It needs to be something that relaxes your body and mind, but most of all do not cause burnout. It is easy, as a parent, to put so much time and energy into taking care of your child. You are so focused on taking care of them that you sometimes forget about yourself.
Ways you can Relax (some of my personal favorites)
- Find a book you have been wanting to read. I am sure you have read plenty of parenting books, but when was the last time you read something fun? Some of my personal recommendations are Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and the Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff series by Richard Carlson.
- Journaling. Journaling has so many benefits, emotionally and mentally. I journal almost daily and see so many benefits from it. It is almost like a cure for me. Journaling does not have to just be about negative feelings/thoughts, but also positive thoughts/feelings. There are many types of journals you can have. Some examples of journals: recipe journal, bullet journal, gratitude journal, daily journal, etc.
- Exercising. Like many things, exercising has obvious physical benefits; but also, it has mental and emotional benefits. Going for a walk, run, squats, yoga, and swimming are just some ideas.
- Cooking or baking your favorite foods. I love to bake and cook! I may not be the best, but I try. Some foods I love to cook are pork chops, pasta, corn, casseroles, 15 bean soup, and chicken. Some things I love to bake are cookies, brownies, and cakes. Whatever you like to cook or bake, do it! It is so relaxing.
- Shopping. Don’t go too crazy though. Just kidding, that is your decision. Go to your favorite store(s) and treat yourself. YOU DESERVE IT!
- Getting your nails, makeup, and/or hair done. I absolutely love doing this for myself. It’s one of my favorite ways to treat myself for all that I do. I have a certain friend who does my hair and makeup whenever I am feeling down or have a special occasion. It feels good to do this!
- Take a nap. I need to do this more often myself. I think it is easy to not get enough sleep as a mother, whether you’re child is on a sleep schedule or not. You may have other things to do, but it is important to put aside time to take a nap. You need enough sleep to be able to function normally and take care of your children.
- Take a warm bath or shower. We get so busy with our children that sometimes we forget to shower and bathe. When you get that moment, take advantage of it. Use a bath bomb! They’re so relaxing and smell amazing.
These are just some of the self care I do for myself. You do not have to do them. I hope this post helps someone out there. Now that you have read bout mommy self care, which ones would you commit to trying? Feel free to share the ways you relax!
Remember, you are a great mother and you deserve the world!